Sobriety Court in Michigan


Sobriety Court allows eligible individuals convicted of certain drunk and drugged driving offenses to obtain a restricted driver’s license after admittance into the court and installation of an breath alcohol ignition interlock device on vehicles they drive and own.

Who is eligible to participate in Sobriety Court?

Each Sobriety Court may adopt eligibility rules within the context of criteria established by the State Court Administrator’s Office. You may be eligible to participate in Sobriety Court if you were arrested for an alcohol-related offense and have a prior alcohol conviction. If you don’t reside within the jurisdiction of the court the Judge overseeing your current offense must approve the transfer to Sobriety Court and the Sobriety Court must accept your admittance before you may be admitted to the program.

How soon can I start driving once I start participating in Sobriety Court?

The law requires that you to serve a minimum of 45 days without a license. The 45-day suspension starts on the beginning date of the suspension or denial/revocation on your Order of Action and driving record. You will receive a restricted license that will state the date that you can begin to drive. The date you may actually receive a restricted license may vary slightly between sobriety court programs.

Where can I drive on my Sobriety Court restricted license?

Your restricted license may allow you to drive to and from your residence, place of employment, school, any alcohol or drug education or treatment programs, and any court appointment. You must carry proof of your destination and hours with the restricted license.

Can I drive as a condition of my employment or with a CDL?

Driving as part of your job such as driving a taxi or bus is a violation of the restricted license. Additionally, federal and state law prohibit an individual from operating a commercial or motor vehicle with a restricted license.

Will I be permitted to drive after I successfully complete the Sobriety Court program?

Upon successful completion of the Sobriety Court program, you may continue to drive with the restricted license. If you wish to obtain full driving privileges, you will need to request a hearing with the Administrative Hearings Section of the Michigan Department of State.

Will I still have to pay my Driver Responsibility Fees if I participate in Sobriety Court?

You are still responsible for paying any Driver Responsibility Fees based on points and non-alcohol related offenses. The Department of Treasury will not actively pursue collection of any fees based on alcohol convictions until you are no longer in the Sobriety Court program.

Click Here to Contact Edward Earl Duke

Our Location

180 High Oak, Suite 205

Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304

(248) 409-0484

Sobriety Court in Michigan
Article Name
Sobriety Court in Michigan
Experienced drunk driving attorney Edward Duke explains Sobriety Court and answers frequently asked questions regarding the program in Michigan.
Duke Law Group